Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lacerta lepida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to the manager of Charlton Reptiles, there are 8 juvs and 3 adult males left. I cannot breed them anymore as already stated and they are a difficult species to obtain. Once they are gone, there gone !
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, what's the idea size for a trio of these? I saw reference to 3'x2' but I only had a quick scan. Obviously I don't want to consider getting any unless I know I can afford them the right amount of space Very Happy

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Johelian
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark68 wrote:
Forgot to say that if you don't already know (Johelian) eggs take around 3 months to hatch.

Also that aggressive/wild behaviour in lacertid and other lizards is due to the much higher levels of UV light outdoors, or more natural lighting generally I think. Even my bearded dragons kept outdoors will bite me given the chance ! Bring them indoors and after a day or so they are calm again. Outdoors for a day and they are monsters again !

Thanks a lot Mark Smile I had read somewhere to expect about 90 days. Thats just waaay too long for me to think about lol (my chuckwalla eggs at 60 days were bad enough!). I have them in the incu and an approximate date marked on the calendar, so I will just have to wait and see what happens.

One of my females has become very aggressive after the last clutch - presumably territorial behaviour - and terrorised her cage mates for a couple of days after they were laid. Is that normal? My females are generally skitty but not fearful, whereas my male is extremely flighty and also very aggressive (towards humans).

Dracowoman, mine are in a 4x2, but I think its a bit small (I have seen the 3x2 for a pair refernce somewhere too, and I think thats really obscenely small for more than one) so Im looking to upgrade to a 5x2. Mine are VERY active all of the day, unlike most of my other herps that have definite periods of activity. They are great to watch, particularly when hunting bugs...I can see a lot of similarity between them and my tegu.
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Johelian, I don't like the idea of things not having enough roomt o run about Very Happy I'm still iffing and areing as it looks like my other female beardie is about to drop Laughing And I'm planning on keeping them all Shocked along with the 7 babies I currently have so I can mix the bloodlines up a bit Wink

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
DeanThorpe
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trese wrote:
hey jo lol dean didn't tell me musta slipped his mind lol

good luck with ur eggs

oh yes i did...
Smile

Strange how being kept outdoors does that to lizards, rather than the levels of uv, maybe its just being outside and the hieghtned awareness and instincts it triggers/forces.
Eyed Lizard
Leo's
Tokay's
Cresties
Garg
Berber skinks
Ocltd Skinks
Uro acanthinurus
Fiji Iguana's
oplurus cyclurus+Cuvieri
Collard's
Long Tailed Lizards
Dwarf Sungazers
Water dragon
Corn's
Royal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Johelian
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeanThorpe wrote:
trese wrote:
hey jo lol dean didn't tell me musta slipped his mind lol

good luck with ur eggs

oh yes i did...
Smile

Strange how being kept outdoors does that to lizards, rather than the levels of uv, maybe its just being outside and the hieghtned awareness and instincts it triggers/forces.

Having read up about lighting, my guess is now that the lighting outdoors is very stimulating - not just the UV, but the lux and colour temperature of the light. Indoors, lighting is tremendously muted typically; as a matter of fact, its believed that reptiles (with heightened ability to process light and colour in the retina) might actually be rendered almost colourblind under indoor incandescent lighting. Its no wonder then that, when indoors, they become a bit subdued...and when their full vision is restored, they go a bit crazy!
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracowoman2 . I would say a bare minimum of 4x2 for a trio. But bigger definately better. I used to keep a group of 1.3 indoors in a 6x2x2 viv with a powersun for heat/UV and they did very well with that. A trio is a good idea as a single female can get too much "attention" from a male if she is on her own. I would say though that if at all possible outdoors is best. They can do very well outdoors and with all that UV light (if allowed free access to it) eggs tend to be much more likely to hatch.

Johelian. Females can get a little territorial sometimes, to be honest not sure exactly why, but I doubt the eggs being layed are a coincidence. Its a more difficult for me to keep such a close eye on what goes on outside. I think you are spot in what you say about light & behaviour.
Johelian
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. She appears to be much calmer now, but she was quite scary at the time! I would love to house them outdoors, but that isnt possible at our current location - when we move Ill be looking to set up permanent outdoor enclosures that can be used over the summer for all of my species (even if they arent permanently housed there it would be great for all of my herps to get more unfiltered sunlight exposure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Lizards - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: