Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just a few research questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan p
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again and thanks for the replies

answer to your questions is i am currently doing a herpetology course and is for part of a essay into the growth of the hobby.

thanks for pointing out the map jstroud Embarassed

cheers Alan
crouchy
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan p wrote:
i am currently doing a herpetology course and is for part of a essay into the growth of the hobby.
cheers Alan

How are you going to judge growth of the hobby? Do you have the answers to the same question from years ago?

When you say adopt do u mean purchase?

Your question of how much people spend per year and how many animals will they "adopt" in the next year doesnt really say anything about growth. Is 1 person buying 100 reptiles really growth or is 100 people buying 1 reptile more like growth of the hobby.

Another way to judge the increasing amount of sales would be to ask pet shop owners if they have had an increase in reptile sales over the last X amount of years.

Also with the question about how much people spend per year on reptiles, Does that include food, enclosures and equipment or just the animals? u havnt made that very clear. U also dont seem to have considered the fact that quite a few reptiles are swapped between people and people sell one thing to buy something else. so if someone says they intend to buy 5 snakes this year they might also be selling 5 lizards in order to create the money and or space for the snakes.

Sorry but if this is for a university essay or Dissertation then there are far too many flaws in your questions for it to be valid.

http://www.freewebs.com/crouchys/
CB Rhampholeon Brevicaudatus (Pygmy Chams) Hatching now
mark68
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Crouchy. Also have you thought about the fact that most people (95% + I would guess) that kept reptiles are not into them enough to participate in forums. People here tend to be reptile nuts !! We are not typical reptile keepers. Most people have a corn snake or a leopard gecko, not houses full of reptiles like many here do !!

As an analogy, I really love dogs. In fact we have four medium/large ones. But I would never buy a magazine about them (dogs) or join a forum about them. Most people would not, yet dogs and cats are very commonly kept (obviously).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: