Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goniurosaurus sp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Goniurosaurus sp. Reply with quote

Hello,

i was just wondering whether anyoneonhere keeps and goniurosaurus species, as i was thinkng of getting a pair. but i would like to know about temperament, are they handleable? (i do not mind if they are not, i am just interested)

also has anyone got any pics? and could one or 2 live in a large contico box, the measurements are: 35 x 52 x 15 cm or 14 x 21 x 6 inches?

cheers

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Biohazard156
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know myself and neep_neep on here keep gonuirosaurus species. I keep G.hainanensis, and Neep keeps G.luii. These are the two most commonly available species.

Mine are a CB proven pair and although they are terribly shy and very strictly nocturnal, they are handleable and resonably friendly. The male slightly less so than the female. I feed mine at night so there is more chance of seeing them, and i check them at least once a week to get them out to see they are doing ok.

They do like to climb a lot, so I would say a 45x45x60 exoterra is good for a pair or trio. The are terrestrial though mainly, so having skinny branches is not great.....large pieces of bark are great for them though, mine love theirs. They need it humid and much cooler than say leos (I keep mine at room temp like cresties)

Here are some pics of my female...she is not easy to photograph as she moves so quick!!

Anna
1.1.0 Dumerils
0.2.0 BCI
1.1.0 Mexican Rosys
1.1.0 ATB's
1.1.0 Viper Geckos
1.0.0 Beardie
4.7.4 Cresties
0.6.8 Mourning Geckos
1.2.2 Gargoyle Geckos
1.1.0 Tokays
1.1.2 Cave Geckos
1.2.0 Leos
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok. she is lovely. you just made me want them more.

thanks for the info. so i guess its a no to the large contico box, if they like climbing. it just annoys me that its empty lol, i must put something in it grrrrr....

so do they ahev any equipment at all on their viv, if they need no heat?

Biohazard156
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Smile

I would say the contico is out....Sad They have no equipment on their viv at all, I was going to provide a small low wattage red bulb in the winter time, but my rep room is quite warm anyway from all the snake heat mats etc so wasn't really needed.

A
1.1.0 Dumerils
0.2.0 BCI
1.1.0 Mexican Rosys
1.1.0 ATB's
1.1.0 Viper Geckos
1.0.0 Beardie
4.7.4 Cresties
0.6.8 Mourning Geckos
1.2.2 Gargoyle Geckos
1.1.0 Tokays
1.1.2 Cave Geckos
1.2.0 Leos
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well i shall just have to put something else in there and get these a well, oh no what are we going to do...... lol

cheers for the help.

what kind of temps do you get in ur reptile room, so i can compare and see if i will need a heater pad or something

whiteraven666
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOO stunning little babies. They have deep red eyes dont they?

Kelly
Treakle (leopard gecko)
Jake (Baby beardie)
Draven (corn snake)
Denzil (chequered garter snake)
Samson+Mickey (Crested geckos)
Cody (Velvet gecko)
neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Smile Sorry if i'm a bit late to this topic - my laptop has died and I now only have access to the Uni computers Sad

Biohazard has covered the accommodation stuff quite nicely - and as she said, I keep G.luii. I also do not use any additional heating, room temps seem to replicate what this species would experience in their natural habitat quite well.

In their original localities, luii can experience minimum temperatures over winter of 15-17C! Obviously these aren't ideal as a long term situation, but it's no cause for concern if winter night-time temperatures in your room dip down to this occasionally.

Over winter their metabolisms slow down immensely and they eat very little, if much at all - that's of course if you do cool them, though I believe some people do choose to maintain them at a higher, constant temperature through use of a heat mat. I prefer to let them have a cooling period to replicate a natural cycle. The main issue with these guys is that problems occur if the temperatures are too high and the humidity is too low, so you need to ensure that your reptile room temperatures do not get too hot, or if so, you have some method of cooling. I believe anything much over 28C can be dangerous. I was speaking to a shop a couple of years ago who lost their pair in a heatwave, which is a real shame. It's likely that because they were kept on beechchip, very little moisture was retained and thus the humidity simply dropped too low.

Last year my G.luii bred with winter temps of between 16-20C and summer temps 20-25C, dependent on the weather and the central heating!

I'll see if I can sort out some pics when I get my laptop back - though if you search the forum you'll probably find a thread with some photos of mine Smile
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thank you neep neep.

Do you mind if i ask you a question, it is off topic slightly.........ok good lol

If you are at Uni, where do your reptiles live? how did you manage to arrange to take them to uni with you? i am only asking because i am in year 12, and so i am looking at unis at the moment, and my parents are worried about whats going to happen to my reptiles when i go, as they do not think i will be allowed to take them with me......which is why they are strict on letting me get new stuff at the moment Evil or Very Mad

sorry for the off topicness

neep_neep
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I spent my 1st year in Uni halls, which were strictly 'no pets' - I spent a large part of this year researching lizards and reading loads of caresheets... as I didn't actually keep reptiles when I first went to Uni. As soon as I moved into privately rented accommodation, I asked the landlord if he would mind 'fish, and stuff in tanks...' and said that was fine, so I got myself my first Crestie Laughing

Now in my 3rd year, got 10 tanks in my room and the current landlord thinks it's fantastic Laughing last inspection day he spent about 20 minutes just looking into all the tanks and asking questions!

So, I guess in answer, if you are going into Uni halls you might struggle...especially as they are often so closely monitored for security, with porters etc... but once you go into the private sector, find yourself an understanding landlord Wink I think i've been quite lucky with mine so far! A lot of my friends keep hamsters with the landlords knowledge, and they have no problems. 2 of my friends have snakes - though not sure if their landlords know Laughing
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok great cheers for the reply, it was very helpful

i need to go private then, unless i get a nice halls of residence, but i don't think there are any that will let me keep reptiles, even if i am going to be doing zoology.

its a bit annoying because if i can get my plan for 'reptiles at uni' sorted i will be allowed to get loads more reptiles, because that is the only reason i am limited as to what i buy Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Geckos - ALL species All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: