Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cresties and calcium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zarozinia - angi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: cresties and calcium Reply with quote

One of my female crested geckos recently suffered a calcium crash and has luckily recovered very well.
I think this was due to two factors really
1/ she breeds constantly ( as when seperated from a male last year she still produced eggs 5 months later!)
2/ I made the decision to use uv to prevent this occurance, but the dumbass who put uv in for me did not actually put a uv tube in at all, as I found out when I went to replace it, so she had not been recieving uv at all.

So now all my cresties have a proper Uv installed by myself and they have a new calcium supplement.
When she fell ill I gave her Calcium SAndoz syrup ( made for people) and she showed signs of recovery within 2 days.
I only gave her 1 - 2 drops twice a week, which she took eagerly, it seems they enjoy the taste. The soloution contains 22mg of elemental calcium per ml. Im going to ask veterinary advice on what doseage would be recommended for an adult crested gecko to maintain there normal calcium levels.

Im just wondering what experiences others have had in maintaining calcium levels in crested geckos and other geckos as its an area im interested in.

Scott, whats your views on calcium, D3 and Uv lighting, I know you keep and breed them in large numbers.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Angi,

I have so far had the opposite problem, with my females producing over-calcified eggs (eggs that are way to tough for the babies to hatch out). I have slit quite a lot of eggs this year to save the young inside.

I don't provide any UV lighting. Instead I dusted every cricket meal with either nutrabol or pure calcium dust. I have now cut this back to just once per week.

I have also switched over to Crested Diet, I talked over my regime with Repashy (diet creator) and felt confident to start using it, after all he produces 1000's each year and ONLY uses the diet.
I now feed crickets twice a week, CGD daily, dust crickets once per week.

I would be interested to see what results you have on the UV light.

good luck,
Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: