Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filtration in low water level aquariums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Filtration in low water level aquariums Reply with quote

With my FBT aquarium am currently doing water changes as although there is a few inches of water (with plenty of plants, logs etc so no risk of drowning) the pump that was with aquarium wont work as water level way too low.

I remember from years ago with "beginner" tanks you had those very small sponge or wool triangular filters which connected up with an air line to a Whisper pump.

Would something like that even be worth purchasing for effectiveness? I guess it would allow a little movement of the water but as I remember it would only filter out pieces floating as such on the water and most of the toad debris probably sinks to the gravel.

Does anyone use any type of mechanical filtration with their toads or frogs or just keep on top via water changes?
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eihem (spelling is probably off) do some very nice low water level filters and pumps.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use little internal power filters made by Elite which I get online for less than £10 each. I will look into the Eheim ones though - they make some very good kit...

Cheers,
Mark.
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Have found this? Seems a pretty basic pump judging on the price but it seems the only sort of thing they do for that purpose.

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-2206-aquaball-internal-filter-p-1107.html

Also seen some small ones with intergral heaters that may be small enough to fit under the body of water.
WelshBoa
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_w wrote:
I use little internal power filters made by Elite which I get online for less than £10 each. I will look into the Eheim ones though - they make some very good kit...

Cheers,
Mark.

Do you use those in toad tanks (or tanks with very little water) Do you find they make much of a difference?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Amphibians All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: