Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new baby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uroplatus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: My new baby Reply with quote

On tuesday night I was coming home from visiting my mam and I was driving down the A19 when I noticed a greyhound running down the side of the duel carriageway. I pulled over and managed to coax her over to me. She was obviously frightened but I managed to get hold of her and get her in my car. I dread to think what would have happened had I not picked her up Anyway when I got her home and examined her I noticed she was quite underweight, has mange on her back legs and has had a really horrific docking of the tail, its obviously a home done job, although it does look healed now. I've rang round the local police stations and rescue centres but no one has reported her missing, there is no sign in the lost and found of one being lost so I'm guessing she was dumped. I rang the greyhound national stud to locate her breeder which I did but he wasnt really interested as he had sold her as a youngster and didnt want her back. She was born on 9/9/2003 and her racing name was 'Wheres my tail' lol, the breeder did tell me that she was either born like that or her mum had eaten her tail when she was cleaning it so she's always looked like it lol. I found the racing info for her, it even has some video footage of her racing on it!
http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1118866
She's so lovely, I've got a little terror of a one year old son who was really excited when I brought her in, she didnt bat an eyelid when he ran over to her screeching at the top of his voice, I supervised them closely as I didnt know of her temperament, I know they are generally great with kids but I didnt want to chance it. Anyway they seem good friends now lol. I've decided to offer her a home as she deserves a second chance and god knows how many homes she has had already she needs to be in a stable environment which I'm going to give her. I've decided as she is so quiet that Whisper is a very good name for her.
I'm so upset that someone could do this to a dog, its unbelievable.
I've tagged some pictures of her on here for you to see.

Peace at last

R. ciliatus 6:16:3, R. chahoua 3:3, R. auriculatus 1:5, R. Sarasinorum 2.2 R. leachianus leachianus 1:1,
U. henkeli 1:0, and other reptiles...
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what an absolutley gorgeous dog. they are often dumped when their usefulness at racing is finished. she does look underweight but im sure you will get her looking as she should. well done, cause if you hadnt stopped she probably wouldnt have had a chance.
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is adorable, i used to work with greyhounds, they are wonderful dogs Very Happy Well done lauren Very Happy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I've always wanted a grey, I had a whippet that I used to show but he died a few years back as he had a problem with his heart he was only 7. I have always intended to get another dog, I do have another dog who lives outside (his choice he refuses to come inside the house!!!), he is a GSD X Husky, he's neutered so no risk there lol, they get on fine.

Anyway an update - I had her to the vets last night for a onceover, the vet said although underweight she isnt in bad nick and what I thought was mange is actually a problem greys get when they are kept on hard concrete 24/7, which definately tells me she was kennelled. I'm going to get her microchipped and book her in to get spayed shortly.
I've just been on e-bay and ordered her the most stunning lead and collar set lol, I'm going out today to get a new dog bed, coat and treats etc. lol, she's costing me a fortune! I dont mind, she's worth every penny Wink
I'm going to try and take her out to the park today depending on weather, I haven't got her a coat yet so she can't go out if its raining too heavily as I don't want her catching a cold! I'm going to buy a basket muzzle as well so that eventually I can let her off, although I don't think she's run off as she is quite clingy I do think if she saw a cat, rabbit or even a small dog running her instinct to chase might kick in and couldn't forgive myself if she killed somebodies pet, it would be bad enough if she caught a wild rabbit but to kill someone elses pet would be horrific!!!
Anyway I will post some piccys of her up the park if I do take her.
R. ciliatus 6:16:3, R. chahoua 3:3, R. auriculatus 1:5, R. Sarasinorum 2.2 R. leachianus leachianus 1:1,
U. henkeli 1:0, and other reptiles...
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you are going to have fun. i once spoke to a guy who lived down the road from me, he had 3 greyhounds, and i have always wanted one, as a pet, not to race. but i was worried as i had cats. he said they are good with cats, but i suppose if the cat took off then the racing instinct would take over.
anyway she is really beautiful, and well done you for rescuing her and deciding to let her live with you. she's a very lucky girl. i wonder how many drove past before you stopped.
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really uplifting post, love the photos. Some people are vile, but all is well as you found her. THANKYOU for telling us about her, and very best wishes for you all being happy together.

Sue
snakeypete
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful post .....good one ya for having a BIG heart .

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing.
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job somebody like you found her, hope you and your family have a very happy life together.
herp_boi
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!
She is very pretty. Very Happy
1.1 Varanus acanthurus
0.1 Python Regius
0.0.10 varanus acanthurus eggs. Very Happy
0.0.31 Heterodon nasicus eggs.
http://www.freewebs.com/njbherps/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: