Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allergies to small animals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Allergies to small animals Reply with quote

Hey folks wondering if anyone had any advice regarding allergies to small animals.

I've just been offered a job with a company that does workshops and presentations for children about animals and have been told that I'll need to keep a few of the animals at home (which is nice as they are giving me another snake).

I've been given the choice of rats, gerbils, guinea pigs or rabbits and ideally I have to have 2 of 2 of the choices (so that's maybe 2 guinea pigs and 2 gerbils for example).

However my dad is allergic to animals with fur and feathers so we were wondering if there is a "lesser of the two evils" type choice. I'm going to ask if I can only keep one type of animal but if I have to pick two is there any that maybe doesn't shed as much dead skin as the others? He says he's willing to try and see how we get on with the animals but if the worse comes to the worse another member of my family will be able to keep them. I'll be looking for a place of my own now that I have a permanent job anyway.

Rabbits are probably out in all honesty so that leaves guinea pigs, rats and gerbils. I was thinking maybe guinea pigs may be best as they could be kept outside (or is that considered cruel now?). If it was left to me my first choice would probably be the rats, I've never been a huge fan of gerbils but am keeping an open mind. Laughing
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i kept guinea pigs outside. in the winter they got old woolly jumpers to sleep on, and the hutches were covered with thick felt, with a bit hanging down the front wire to shut off at night. they were all fine. will you have a hutch for them???
Forum Granny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want to upset your Dad but he may be interested to hear about my two children and allergies. Both are badly allergic to cats and horses, the works, swollen faces with red blotches and runny eyes etc. My son used to ride ( hey, no way would he give up ) with a mask over his nose and mouth until his body got used to the allergens. He went on to work in a racing stables as a 'lad'.

My daughter has to continually have a cat in order not to react to them. If she goes a while without a cat for any reason, the allergy comes back. Next to her property there is a field full of gorgeous horses.....

Just a thought.

Sue
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well isnt that how they treat allergies. introduce the thing thats causing them.
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The company are providing me with enclosures and such so I'd assume that guineas and rabbits will be given outdoor hutches.

I think guinea pigs and rats are going to be the way to go with this. Looking forward to starting the job in 2 weeks. Very Happy
Lynne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you do need a hutch give me a shout. there is a new one out back you can take away.
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one in the garden it has been there a few years but is all intact

might need some toughing up
Crunchie
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks folks i'll be sure to ask for any help should I need it. Can't believe this is my last week at my old job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Other Pets / Exotics All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: