Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I want cresties?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garysumpter
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Do I want cresties? Reply with quote

Silly sounding questions I know but bear with me.

I spent yesterday redoing my reptile room and in the process, unpacked my two new large exo terra terrariums and put them in position.

One of them is for a rainforest dartfrog setup.

The other is EITHER for a GTP (Biak) or a crestie setup and I just cant decide.

Do you crestie owners get much interaction with your geckos?

Are they display animals or do they hide all day?

Obviously I want a nice looking setup (have no space left for anything else!)

Just after some general comments really to help sway my decision!

Many Thanks

Gary

http://www.sitewonders.co.uk
gary@sitewonders.co.uk
Alex Thomas
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i haave a few crestys,they do tend to sleep most of the day but are active early evening,mine love to come out and sit on me
crouchy
Key Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it depends on what you want. If you want a display animal during daylight hours go for the GTP. If you want an animal to handle then get a Crestie.

Also in general crestie vivs can be better decorated than GTP vivs although this is obviously partly up to the owner. But cresty vivs can be more densly planted.

I have no idea what your experience is either but obviously GTP's are a little harder to care for.

http://www.freewebs.com/crouchys/
CB Rhampholeon Brevicaudatus (Pygmy Chams) Hatching now
Gimpy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well min sleep and hide themselves away during the day but if i get them out they are usually ok (if abit grumpy and sluggish about being woken up!) but on the whole, lovely little things. I have great fun watching mine jump about like loonies on the bed!
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Mixed feelings, sometimes I think they are great (like today I had both eating CGD mix off my finger) other times like when lights out, I can sit there for an hour and get excited when one yawns Very Happy
I think my royals are more active.
OH and they are rubbish at hunting crickets, but from what I have read, insects are only about 25% of there food in the wild. Good job, I doubt it is even that much unless there is sloth insects.
On a more positive note the one time my male fired up after shedding was cool. He has been a drab colour ever since but something to look forward to.
I think they have some intelligence, they know if they press themselves against the glass it is a lot harder to prise them off and onto ones hand, also they like me more than my lads(person recognition), they try to jump off me, but if my lads have hold they will jump off them onto me. Then try to jump off me.
They have other qualities as well, the main one is patience, even after lights out they can meditate for hours on end; motionless, waiting, praying? then the next morning when I pop in to check on them they have moved to a different place Wink
Though it must be admitted in the reptile world they have a lot going for them, I would suggest Anoles, Yemen Chameleons(for visual Pleasure) or Uros(except Indian uros that don't get out of bed till eleven then go back to bed at 4)(though still an interesting animal) as a better option for pets, except the uros and Yemen's would not suit an exo. Day geckos are another as well as pink tongued skinks, blue tongued skinks, beardies etc
I am trying to think if I have owned anything that has been less active, ah yes, horned frogs, whites tree fogs(except when one jumped on me mate and he nearly died) Indian uro, (except when you lifted it into its food bowl) I am sure there are others Very Happy
hope helps
mike
mike h
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must add when they are out in hand and start feeding off finger it makes them worthwhile, also mine are still settling in only had then for about a week or so. They are really cool to look at and the night time sitting in the dark except for a red/blue light is very peaceful.

mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: