Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

packaging inverts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: packaging inverts? Reply with quote

hi people i am selling some inverts and would like to post them to people but was wondering how the actual delivery rate works out? i know how to package them correctly just not sure how to work out the postage.
so hoping theres someone that can help me out Laughing
thanx stu
Young_Gun
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat rate for RMSD is £4.50 I think so minimum is £4.50, way I do it is charge them what I want for the item, then send it, and get the postage cost back once its been sent and I know how much to post.

How you packing and what you sendin, if you have that red trapdoor left at a reasonable price i'll take it Wink
stubeanz
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiders will be sent in deli cups and scorps in strong cricket tubs surrounded with news paper in a bovx sutible for the size im sending.

is this ok?

ps PM about the red trapdoor
stu
Vickie Lizard
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I thought all live stock had to be sent by TNT or other registered courier???
1.2.0 Emperor Scorpions
+ lots of bugs!
Its always better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission!!
lovesnakes
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vickie Lizard wrote:
Hi, I thought all live stock had to be sent by TNT or other registered courier???

this is correct for reptiles and fluffy animals. however, inverts are excluded so you are free to post them Very Happy

special delivery is a must i think. people don't begrudge paying an additional fiver to know their animal will be with them the next day Very Happy

where are you listing your inverts, would be interested in having a look Very Happy
chris
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my son to nip down to the post office,to post some
ts, he was asked what was in the boxes ,so son said tarantulas,and wouldnt let him post,
so son gave it 5 mins, pop back in diff counter ,when asked again what was in the boxes he said it was games,
parcel went off
about an hour later i get phone call from post office with a manger or what ever ,asking about boxes,is there tarantulas in there, to which i say no ,crickets and beattles.3-4mins of me reasuring him there not ts in there,
him saying well it nearly called police in, cos insect are fine but not tarantulas,
so i reasure him there crix and beattles, he sayes ok i ll let them through this time,but never again,
please go elsewhere
lovesnakes
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifted this from Royal mails website.......

Living creatures
Bees, Leeches, Pupae and Chrysalides, Caterpillars, Lugworms, Rag worms, Earthworms, Maggots, Silkworms, Fish fry and Eggs, Mealworms, Crickets, certain Parasites and destroyers of Noxious Pests, and some other insects sent between recognised institutions are allowed. You must use boxes that protect both the creatures and Royal Mail staff from harm. Use First Class as the minimum service and clearly label the package as "URGENT - LIVING CREATURES". Mark the sender's name and address on the outer wrapping.

best bet would be to go with the crickets story from now on Wink Very Happy

Royal Mail will never open the boxes unless given reason to.
chances are the person from the first visit recognised the boxes and made a query to the boss....
believe me, when in the hands of royal mail (and not post office counters) no one will pay any attention to it Smile
chris
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true,i say its an orniment or something now lol
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovesnakes wrote:
chances are the person from the first visit recognised the boxes and made a query to the boss....
believe me, when in the hands of royal mail (and not post office counters) no one will pay any attention to it Smile

sorry but after 3 years working for royal mail, thats not quite true...

Parcels marked urgent/live animals are screened from time to time to check what the contents are.. in some cases legal action was considered and animals destroyed.

Admitedly its not that often, but more often than not it was boxes that were not marked that made "scratching noises" we opened to check.. the ones marked live insects were also checked if not business customers.

all this said you could probably send T's through the post marked as live insects for years without trouble as they are very quiet for the most part, but if your parcel gets opened the animal is likely to be destroyed.

I would always advise using a courier that costs a few quid more and is happy to carry insects that royal mail are not!

Last year I recieved 3 boxes from royal mail containing crushed mantids, one of these boxes had been opened and re-sealed with royalmail tape.

most royal mail staff are decent but some do open boxes just for the sake of it, and others for more malicious reasons Wink

better safe than sorry
lovesnakes
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainmerkin wrote:
lovesnakes wrote:

sorry but after 3 years working for royal mail, thats not quite true...

Parcels marked urgent/live animals are screened from time to time to check what the contents are.. in some cases legal action was considered and animals destroyed.

Admitedly its not that often, but more often than not it was boxes that were not marked that made "scratching noises" we opened to check.. the ones marked live insects were also checked if not business customers.

all this said you could probably send T's through the post marked as live insects for years without trouble as they are very quiet for the most part, but if your parcel gets opened the animal is likely to be destroyed.

I would always advise using a courier that costs a few quid more and is happy to carry insects that royal mail are not!

Last year I recieved 3 boxes from royal mail containing crushed mantids, one of these boxes had been opened and re-sealed with royalmail tape.

most royal mail staff are decent but some do open boxes just for the sake of it, and others for more malicious reasons Wink

better safe than sorry

admittedly i am only commenting on my own personal background of 19 years with royal mail ( Embarassed ) and appreciate that personnel, and their attitudes, differ to huge proportions from office to office Smile

but you're right, better safe than sorry, pay the extra postage Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Invertebrates All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: