Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mesh cage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obie_1
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: mesh cage Reply with quote

Im using a mesh cage to house my chameleon which obviouslydoesnt hold heat.,The basking spot is great however the ambients are far too low,i live in modern centrally heated house which with radiator on during cams hours keep temps perfect.Any ideas on how to get ambients up without having rad on all the time?
Stuart Marquis
Key Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Like you said, the mesh cages don't really hold heat so the only way you'll be able to boost ambient temps that I can think of is by increasing the power of the basking spot bulb (which will obviously boost the basking spot temp too) or having a heater that brings up the temp of the whole room.

What is the main issue with things the way they are now, is it that having the central heating turned on heats every room in the house? If this is the case you could invest in a small plug in heater for the specific room in question and then not have to rely on the whole central heating system. Chameleons do well with good ventilation and air flow so I'd imagine one of these plugged into an on/off thermostat might work well;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fan-Heaters-Heating-Home-Appliances/b?ie=UTF8&node=3147671

You could also plug it in via a timer so that its only on during the day so that you get a nice temp drop (quite important for chams) at night.

cheers

Stuart
obie_1
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for reply im gona keep on using radiator as its no problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Chameleons All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: