Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will our cresties ever let us handle them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Will our cresties ever let us handle them? Reply with quote

Hi guys

We have 3 cresties as you may know, but we are having real problems with handling them.

They are just really jumpy and wont really even let us get near them. We have got them out from the viv a few times but at the moment every time we even put our hands anywhere near them they just jump away. Sid is particularly jumpy, never seen a gecko move so quick. Kurt when we have managed to get him out is a bit calmer, and Titch is rarley even out in his viv unless it is pitch dark, and s/he always sleeps behind a piece of cork so we can't even coax him when he's dozy.

Any tips or hints - we have tried putting cgd or liquidised fruit on our fingers but they wont come near, we don't try every night because we don't want to scare them. Will it be easier when they are a bit bigger - they are still only 4 months old

Thanks for helping.
uroplatus
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will probably get better with age, have you tried hand feeding them with crickets ect. Mine dont exactly walk onto my hand from the viv, I usually have to gently take hold of them and lift them out, once outside their viv they are fine to handle.
R. ciliatus 6:16:3, R. chahoua 3:3, R. auriculatus 1:5, R. Sarasinorum 2.2 R. leachianus leachianus 1:1,
U. henkeli 1:0, and other reptiles...
www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
Xx_JoJo_xX
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of them is that they tend to be a bit crazy until you handle them.. Once they realise that you're not hurting them n have been out for a little bit they usually calm down, but you do have to deal with the crazy jumping for a little bit first lol

I would say sit down on the floor when handling so that if they do try to jump away then they wont fall too great a distance, and then do the hand walk thing where u put one hand in front of them for them to walk on and then the same again with the other.. if that makes sense? With jumpy ones I sometimes put my hand up in front of them but far enough away for them to jump to and they kinda use it as a target place to land.
I think they will calm down with time, mine are all uber tame now.. perhaps a bit too tame? lol
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - since having posted this yesterday Sid has decided to just walk calmly onto Sean's hand for the first time ever and just sit there for a minute or so!

As usual we are panicking a bit I think!
Higgy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have two crested geckos which Ive had since Nov.One of them loves to be out and will calmly walk on your hands and run about you jumping from hand to hand etc and will eat from hand. The other was very skittish and hated being handled. I just handled it for a few minutes every few days often with the other gecko and its slowly got better. Once its out it settles down within a minute or so and is fine. As other have suggested sit on the floor when handling the jumpy gecko so if it falls its not got far to fall. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: