Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjingles
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: advice Reply with quote

Hey, we've had our corn for a good year and a half now and although she is a beautiful snake we have been thinking of investing in a new addition!
From our research we have found the royal pythons look promising as they dont grow too big but are still a larger snake incomparison to our corn. And correct me if im wrong in saying there quite easy to care for?

we would like a boa but dont have the room!

We've had different opinions on viv sizes witch mostly sway towards the 3foot mark. I would like your opinions on this and also if possible, some pics of your royals vivs to give us some ideas on hides ect.. feel free to post pics of your royals as there seems to be an abundance on here and i cant seem to find any lol

I would like your opinions on temprements of the snake if possible. We handle our corn quite often and she enjoys a good rome around. would a royal be a bad idea or do you handle yours often?

Any suggestions on any other snakes that could fit in a practical size viv (3ft) would be fantastic!

Do you mist your royals? Agen.. opinions have varied throughout our research.

Sorry for the load of questions but we want our next snake to be right for us and also for the snake, therefore were trying to gain as much experienced advice as pos instead of rushing into anything before we find a match!

Thanks all... much appreciated
Rad
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mrjingles

I kept a number of royals in both a racking system and vivs, a 3ft viv would be suitable for a adult royal although their is exceptions to any rule Laughing

As for temperment , as long as you buy a captive bred animal thats a good start.

I only mist mine when they are coming up to shed so to raise the humidty to help with sheding.

One bad thing that you must be aware of is royals have the tendency to stop eating although some only for a short time. me, myself have had one go for 8 months without eating and generly if they have enough weight to them they will be ok without any problems.

anything else please ask but i am sure other people will add their comments Laughing
James
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a royal is a great choice for a 2nd snake, check out the royal/ball section of this forum for pics and information. I notice you said you both like boas but don't have enough room, have you thought about dwarf/smaller types of boas. Some if i remember correctly the males only get about 5ft which could possibly stay in a 3ft viv as long as its at least 2/ft wide maybe an option.
mrjingles
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys peeps.
Im thinking boas now haha what what you advice as a second snake for the boa's, are they the same level to care for as a python? i mean like fussy eaters or temprement. and also handling wise.
soon as i get a few suggestions ile do some further research.
thanks.
Lynne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a common boa i have and i can state the temperament is the same as royals, but the eating isnt. she eats like a bucket. she is very good tempered, but you must watch around feeding time. the feeding response is so good they may go for anything that goes in the viv, including your hand, i always use tongs to feed. her.
may be differant with other types of boa, but the common i would recommend.
Forum Clown
Forum Clown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boa temperaments vary greatly as do most snakes..nearly all the boas I have had were very temperamental and aggressive but as Lynne mentions hers is as good as gold..at the end of the day it comes down to the individual snake..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Snakes - General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: