Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crestie Setup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, no they are 24" x 18" x 24". I will probably be housing 1.8 or 1.6 in each. Haven't decided yet.

Just bear in mind that mine will have a mass of hides that allow them the space and distance they need to be housed in a large group (not something that's easy to do in a natural set up).

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Central Scotland Reptiles
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Scott, even animals that bask and are active during the day, such as Day Geckos, must be provided with ample hiding areas. Lets not forget that in the wild they are prey for many animals, being on show 24/7 will only stress the animal. A stressed Gecko is an unhappy Gecko in my opinion.
watts501
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
hi, no they are 24" x 18" x 24". I will probably be housing 1.8 or 1.6 in each. Haven't decided yet.

Just bear in mind that mine will have a mass of hides that allow them the space and distance they need to be housed in a large group (not something that's easy to do in a natural set up).

when u set them up it is possible for u to send a couple of pics?? of the finshed product??

thanks
negri
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watts501 wrote:
Scott W wrote:

when u set them up it is possible for u to send a couple of pics?? of the finshed product??

thanks

http://www.captivebred.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13691&highlight=

there are pics here of how scott has his tanks . not the best pic but you get the idea

Crested Geckos 1:7:4 + 8 Eggs
White Treefrogs 0:1:0
Green Anole 0:0:1
Fire Belly Toads 5:6:0
Bearded Dragon 0.1.0
Leopard Geckos 1.1.2
Albino Cali King 1.1.0
And a Fish Called George...
captainmerkin
Key Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

negri wrote:
watts501 wrote:
Scott W wrote:

thanks

there are pics here of how scott has his tanks . not the best pic but you get the idea

have to admit I dont like that set up one little bit as its just so bland and sterile looking.

understand why breeders dont use elaburate housing with hours spent on making it look natural, but certainly myself it would have to be a living growing home for them.

Cute little buggers though eh!
joffy666
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott W wrote:
It's funny though, I actually keep the babies more natural (opposite to you Laughing ), all babies are reared on a natural peat substrate to ensure they don't desiccate.

So despite all the warnings of impaction it is ok to use a peat subtrate as long as it's packed down well?

Hope you still sitting on those eggs Scott, I still wanna crestie. Wink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainmerkin wrote:
negri wrote:
watts501 wrote:
Scott W wrote:

thanks

have to admit I dont like that set up one little bit as its just so bland and sterile looking.

understand why breeders dont use elaburate housing with hours spent on making it look natural, but certainly myself it would have to be a living growing home for them.

Cute little buggers though eh!

yep I agree, but sterile and clean is far more important to the geckos than natural looking. They will behave and interact exactly the same in either type of set up but I do agree a planted natural viv is much more pleasing on the human eye Wink

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joffy666 wrote:
Scott W wrote:
It's funny though, I actually keep the babies more natural (opposite to you Laughing ), all babies are reared on a natural peat substrate to ensure they don't desiccate.

So despite all the warnings of impaction it is ok to use a peat subtrate as long as it's packed down well?

Hope you still sitting on those eggs Scott, I still wanna crestie. Wink

What you have to remember is ANY loose substrate can be ingested and possibly lead to choking or impaction. Compacting the peat down and keeping it suitably damp will help reduce the chances of ingestion but it will not eliminate it totally. ONLY having no loose substrate will do that. I do feel the benefits for rearing hatchlings on peat far out way the risks for me but it's something each keeper should decide themselves. Funny enough once they are adult the risks are almost zero but that's when I switch to newspaper Embarassed Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: