Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhacodactylus: The Complete Guide to their Selection and Car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Review - Books & Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Rhacodactylus: The Complete Guide to their Selection and Car Reply with quote

Rhacodactylus: The Complete Guide to their Selection and Care
By Philippe de Vosjoli, Frank Fast and Allen Repashy.
Published: 10-2003 Publisher: Advanced Visions Inc.
Format: Paperback 296 pages. ISBN: 0974297100 Price: $39.99

As the title suggests this book is about the rhacodactylus genus. It is a must for all gecko enthusiasts. The cover immediately grabs your attention (it's an excellent specimen of a Crested gecko). The subsequent images throughout the book are just as enthralling. The leaping actions images of all the species have to be my favourites.

The book begins with a brief introduction and acknowledgments. Followed by an overview of each of the species, which covers the common names and the ecology of the rhacodactylus genus.
Each species within the genus of Rhacodactylus is given its own chapter. The first to be discussed being Crested geckos. This covers everything needed in the captive care of this ever popular gecko. Areas covered include: The history of the subspecies in captivity (it's rediscovery in 1994), Housing Crested geckos, Breeding Crested geckos, how to provide food and water and Mixing Species in Naturalistic Vivaria. A key feature to the chapter is the inclusion of a guide to identifying the many morphs of Crested gecko which are available in the hobby today. This is accompanied with 62 beautiful colour morph images. The subject of Temperature-Dependent Sex Determination is an ongoing debate which is highlighted in the chapter. It addresses all the rhacodactylus species in relation to the subject, though when the results come to fruition it'll be the Crested gecko market which will benefit most in my opinion.

The two chapters which follow are entitled Gargoyle gecko and Mossy Prehensile Tailed gecko. Similar areas are covered; distribution, longevity, habits, size, sexing, housing, breeding etc. as in the previous species chapter. However it doesn't go into as great a detail, instead it refers the reader back to the Crested gecko chapter for further information.

The next species to be discussed is Giant geckos. This is a very in depth chapter covering both of the subspecies (Grand Terre Giant and Henkels Giant geckos). It includes pointers in identifying the different locality types of giant gecko. This is an area I feel is very important in the captive keeping of the species and subspecies. To aid the identification of the locality types 85 colourful images are included. Ontogeny and Social Life of the Giant Gecko is a very interesting segment of the book. The description of the interaction they make with each other through scent marking and vocalisation makes for a fascinating read.

The last two species to be described are Slender Prehensile-tailed geckos and Rough Snouted geckos. The format and content covered is the same as in the other chapters.

The penultimate chapter covers disease and health problems the genus may encounter, it includes treatments for such occasions.

The final chapter is entitled Conservation of Rhacodactylus. Legislation, smuggling and the ultimate effects on herpetoculture are covered in this chapter.

The book finishes with five appendices (Appendix 1: Glossary; Appendix 2: Notes on Rhacodactylus; Appendix 3: Notes on Crested geckos; Appendix 4: Notes on Gargoyle geckos; Appendix 5: Notes on Giant geckos) and References and Source Materials.

Dotted throughout the book are boxes of general information regarding the keeping of the genus in captivity. I found this to be very useful. Such areas as incubating the eggs, tips for handling, feeding schedules, are covered.

My only disappointment with the book was, I would have preferred more information on the natural food types of the genus. The book tends to focus on the more commercial diets (for example, baby food and complete meal replacements). However, I would recommend it as a welcome addition to any reptile library. The format flows very well and it is written in an easy to understand language. Both the beginner and the experienced hobbyist a like will get something out of it. The colour images throughout the book are faultless and they really show off the genus to their full. The book is very reasonably priced and with the amount of information in it, you certainly get value for money.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
kroakykaren
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this book Jackie it makes for good reading doesnt it
Love Karen
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just ordered this book as a holiday read, and it i read this review and it sounds brilliant

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
PaulG
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know where I can get hold of this book?
have they stopped printing it?
I really would like to have a look at it.
Any one help?
Thanks
Paul

:.Rhacodactylus.:.Eublepharis.:.Stenodactylus.:.Nephrurus.:
hogboy
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmallPaul wrote:
does anyone know where I can get hold of this book?
have they stopped printing it?
I really would like to have a look at it.
Any one help?
Thanks
Paul

I have a spare copy, pm me if you are intersted.
Dracowoman2
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic book, and the photography is worth having on it's own. I got mine from amazon.com, even with postage worked out cheaper then amazon uk, and got here in about 2 weeks, was well worth the wait! Very Happy

"Life without animals isn't life, they give much and take little"

Claire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Review - Books & Products All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: