Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insect feeders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Insect feeders Reply with quote

Hi,

Similar to the thread on fat tail geckos, I was wondering what insect feeders people feed to their crested geckos?

I tried tropical banded crickets for the first time recently, and found they eat loads of these compared to small black crickets. This surprised me becuase these are much faster and more jumpy than the blacks. So,

Anyone tried roaches? Do you think that Blatta lateralis/red runners would be too fast? (I don't want to 'release' large numbers of roaches in my reptile room if they're not going to eat them!).

Cheers,
Mark.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
I have tried locust, and saw no interest from mine. Black crickets also had no interest (only my beared dragons seem happy to eat blacks). I've never tried red runners or any other roach, I think the reds would be good but I think you would have to offer them in such a way as the cresteds can catch them easy.

I basically stick to standard size silent brown crickets or adult house crickets and then the CGD.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
jenni270986
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine like little locusts, never tried roaches.

jenn
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Scott, mine showed no interest in black crickets or locusts. Mine also showed no interest in waxworms but love the moths.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
Kat
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine absolutely love locusts, much more than the crickets, they can't seem to get enough, and they are good stimulation because they climb and the geckos have to find them.
SI654
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crestie will eat anythin i put in Black,brown crix i have tried mealworms to and he ate them lol . Very Happy
Anne
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed mine black crickets which I put in a glass bowl sunk into the ground - they always vanish overnight and little paw like footprints can be seen in the remains of the calcium powder!!
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies - I'm surprised at the variety of feeders used. I started experimenting with roaches last night offering dubia roaches in the 1 to 1.5cm range.

Jackie, how do you find the Teratolepis geckos? I nearly bought some but chickened out. They just seemed so small...

Mark.
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_w wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - I'm surprised at the variety of feeders used. I started experimenting with roaches last night offering dubia roaches in the 1 to 1.5cm range.

Jackie, how do you find the Teratolepis geckos? I nearly bought some but chickened out. They just seemed so small...

Mark.

I think they're a really fun species to keep. I was daunted by their size at first but it doesn't bother me now. The scary bit came when I bred them. As you know the adults are only 4 inches maximum total length - the babies were about 3/4 of an inch. But once I got the set-up right for them (the babies) it was fine.

In theory their set-up is similar to Leopard geckos but on a much smaller scale. If you provide them with plenty of hiding places they do well.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
mark_w
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the size of the babies that put me off lol; I was offered some little CB ones at about an inch long.

I think I might take the plunge if I see them again. I'm also considering some T. chazaliae...

Mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: