Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incase of Envenomation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bezyboy
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Incase of Envenomation Reply with quote

This question has probably been asked 100000 times, but I've started researching into this slight problem before i start setting up to send off for my DWA.
What would the people here that keep hots do if envenomated? especially by a few specific species that can be lethal within the first 30 Min's.

Thanks alot

Marc
tigersnake
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc,
If you are bitten, the most important thing to do (once the snake is secured), is phone 999, no first aid treatment should stop you reaching medical care. Once this is done, if on your own, you should remain as calm as possible, many snakes produce "dry" bites, and even when bitten by a highly toxic snake, death within 30 mins. is highly unlikely.
Sit down and remain calm, if bitten by an elapid that produces mainly neurotoxic venom, ( Mambas, Australasian elapids, Coral Snakes, and some Cobras except Spitting Cobras etc.) apply the pressure/ immobilisation method of first aid.
I have medical information cards in my room that I would fill out in the event of a bite, it gives information about the snake, about me and about the bite.
The bite protocols I use are printed off from the clinical toxicology website, I have printed one for each species I keep, also I have the relevant phone numbers for Liverpool and Guys Hospitals. All this would go with me to Hospital. Once in Hospital let the doctors do their job.
Always take a mobile phone with you into the room, I also have first aid protocols on a notice board just inside my door.
Hope this helps a bit.
All the best,
Brian.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats really interesting. i watched a programme once investigating what happens when bitten. i always thought the venom entered bloodstream and that was that, but some start eating away at flesh. it was astounding how little time was needed before the flesh around the bite marks started to "melt" for want of a better word.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Envenomation Reply with quote

As many of you know I work with Adders all year and have been bitten on three occasions (all my fault over 30 years).

anyone working with any venomous reptile MUST have health and safety protocal.

It doesnt matter what species it is and whether you've been bitten before EVERY bite is different and potentially life threatening!!!

Treat every bite as if its your last one.....that way you should survive.....

and they are all likely to hirt like hell Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Using Nikon D300's and pro lenses
tigersnake
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynne
It is true, if venom enters the bloodstream the effects will show much quicker, but the vast majority of bites are subcutaneous, (under the skin),
and the venom travels away through the lymphatic vessels. The damage at the bitesite, although it looks bad, it does not normally kill you, it is the systemic effects that do the damage, e.g. the neurotoxins , heamotoxins, etc. Unfortunately T.V. programs tend to dramatise things too much, thats not to say snakebite is not serious, it is, but they tend to " elaborate" on the truth.
All the best,
Brian.
Lynne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi brian. they got one of those electronic cars and covered it in layers of steak. then fur, and steered it past the snakes. there were two or three differant venomous ones. one woman was bitten, and her leg muscles started to swell so much they had to cut her leg and leave it open till they began to deflate. it was fascinating. you all really do have to take care.
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thanks for your answer Brian and everyone that showed interest in the topic Surprised
Have you ever been bitten? (Just curious)

Thanks

Marc
tigersnake
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Bezyboy, I received a bite from a White-lipped Green Pit Viper about 22 years ago. It was a juvinile snake, about 18 inches long, and it caught me on the little finger of the left hand. It was a dry bite and I did not have any pain or swelling so I looked on it as a reminder to take more care.
Lynne, it sounds like they performed a fasciotomy, a procedure to relieve pressure inside a compartment caused by swelling due to fluid loss, also the cytotoxins destroy tissue around the bitesite helping to increase the pressure.
All the best,
Brian.
Bezyboy
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Brain once again lol, you do seem to really know you stuff Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Are dry bites quite painful aswel?

Thanks

Marc
tigersnake
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc,
The bite I received was not painful because it was only a little snake, but imagine a bite from a venomoid Gaboon Viper about 6ft long and with 2in long fangs being driven into your forearm, it would be a dry bite, but I think it would hurt very much Very Happy Very Happy .
All the best,
Brian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: