Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Handling..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Red*
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Handling.. Reply with quote

Obviously not right now as he's still trying to settle in.. what with us moving things about so much since he came to us the poor little thing..

But once he's settled in properly, how can we go about getting him used to us and be able to start handling him? I'm not being niave, I know he's not a toy and we can't get him out for hours at a time each night, be we would like to be able to get him out every now and then.

At the moment he just thinks we're out to disturb him or to get him whenever we open the tank (to feed him or spray the viv) and he hides away. In fact I don't think Jon or I have actually seen him roaming about, even of an evening yet. No leaping from plant to vine or anything. I don't think he's very happy.. but then I guess I wouldn't be seeing as my home has been dismantled twice! (once for improvements and once because of the ant saga)

He is eating, Jon's mum has spotted him a couple of times hanging on a low branch over his food bowl.. but we haven't! Rolling Eyes

We gave him one little cricket last night about 9.30pm for the first time to see if he felt comfortable enough to "hunt" for it. He didn't do anything whilst we were watching, but Jon couldn't find it this morning so we're assuming he got it!

We've been alternating each night between T-Rex CGD mixed with organic baby food, and a mix we made ourselves just to give him some variation. (half a mango, a banana, a jar of organic apple and peach baby food, some organic bio-yoghurt, and a dash of multivits - all mixed together and frozen in an ice cube tray)
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't add any multivitamins to the CGD, it creates a funny taste and so far prevented all mine from eating it when ever I try.

Also, like you say, just give him time, I would recommend 2 weeks of no disturbance other than placing food in the viv. Never spray him directly, just spray the viv 5 minutes before you turn off the lights.

After a week or so he should be confident to explore his new surrondings, obviously this will be set back each time you make any changes to it.

Once you are happy that he feeds and is moving around in his viv, then you can begin to try and offer baby food from your fingers, sometimes you can speed this up by removing the water dish the night before and not offering any 'liquid food' other than from your fingers. Never with hold this for more than a day, so if he doesn't take from your fingers, place food in as usual and then try again a few days later.

You can take him out of his cage when ever you want but it's normally best to wait until he is out exploring rather than digging round the cage trying to find him.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: