Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viv setup....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny H
I'm new here...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Viv setup.... Reply with quote

[IMGhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/jon24102003/Picture006.jpg[/IMG]

What do you guys think? Smile
Mememe
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh, very nice viv, looks perfect!
Is this for Cody?
Is he eating yet? (since you got him?)

No man is an Island. Except the Isle of Man.
*Red*
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww thanks! Yes it's for him! Very Happy

It's not perfect anymore though..

Just came home to find the family gathered round the tank.. a couple of ants were spotted in there Shocked

We've just stripped it all (much to Cody's annoyance) and put a couple of bits of wood into the oven to bake for a while. The other pieces are too big so we're gonna have to place them into a large freezer.

It's annoying because they were meant to have been treated, they came from Cold Blooded.

We're not having much luck here and Cody isn't very happy at the moment. Sad

One more thing.. as you can see, we have the heat and UV lights in the tank.. someones said we should have a guard over them... Confused
We did originally think that.. but the dude @ Cold Blooded set that up for us and said it wasn't hot enough to hurt him if he did climb onto it....? Confused

Any suggestions?

Worried Parents! Laughing

xx
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Your set-up looks quite good. Plenty of climbing and hiding spaces.

Not sure if the heat lamp would be hot enough to burn, I guess it would if it came on full power. Do you really need it in there? Temp wise they will still feed and grow at 70f, I personally would perhaps put a heat mat stuck to the back wall on the outside, this will provide a warm spot without needing a thermostat etc (just cover a max of 1/3 of the back wall) and then remove the spot lamp totally.

UV is fine but will mean that the gecko will tend to hide away until it goes off but with live plants in there you can't do with the UV (gecko doesn't need it at all). I have never guarded UV tubes, even though they can get VERY hot I have never had any burns, even when lizards actually sleep with their bellys on it.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
*Red*
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Scott,

Thanks!

The heat lamp is really only in there because the bloke @ Cold Blooded suggested it Embarassed

The thermostat is set to 72 I think so that is comes on a little bit of an evening when the temp drops. Jon's room is fairly warm in the day time, in fact Saturday afternoon it was nearly 78 with the central heating on! But maybe we should try a heat mat...

I was thinking of buying a timer for the UV light, so it just comes of for 3 hours or so say from 11am-2pm for the plants mainly.

Another quick question, where did you get your egg box trays from?! Laughing
We were thinking of getting a couple of the large ones like you had and put them in there for the moment as he loves the two small ones we''ve got in there. (We had to take most of the wood out since the Ant incident to either bake or freeze)
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to buy the egg carton in bulk (1 pallet which is 4000 pieces...lol), if you only want a few, try a local supermarket, ask for the old packaging.

The UV is fine on all day, nothing that the gecko wouldn't have access to in the wild. I'd leave it if you plan on keeping the plants in there.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: