Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hognoses used to be on the DWA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pendlehog
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lulu85 wrote:
went to the pet store today and got a chance to hold one of these, was told that the venom was just as potant as a bee sting.

This is often quoted and I have no idea where that idea comes from... having been stung by a bee and bitten by hognoses there isnt any comparison whatsoever. A hognose bite will not normally react.

I would say somewhere around 15% of people will react to invenomation and considering their delivery system is so awful anyway the % of bites that result in invenomation is very small to begin with.

I believe it is also psychosomatic - lots of people say it "itched a little".. I really think this is because they expected to have some sort of reaction, not because there was any physical stimulus.
goldenburm
Captivebred Colonel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because someone maybe allergic to bee stings does not mean you will get the same reaction I think the protein structure is completely different in both!
1.0 pastel motley DEAD
2.0 sunglows 1.0 LIVING
1.1 pastel het snow 0.1 LIVING
2.2 albino boas DEAD
0.2 albino ara's DEAD
0.4 boa constrictors 0.2 LIVING
Lulu85
I've settled in...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenburm wrote:
just because someone maybe allergic to bee stings does not mean you will get the same reaction I think the protein structure is completely different in both!

lol i didn't mean it litterly when i asked if allergic to bee stings lol just the first thing that popped into my head lol

i am so tempted to get a hoggie but there is a major space issue at the mo as all my 'babies' have to go in my room as i am still living with my dad lol
i am guessing the reaction, if there is one, is only minor and not a rush to hosp lol
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling at the moment im squashed into a 7ft x 6ft bedroom with 9 snakes about 20 tarantulas and some other inverts, not pleasent if one shits Shocked luckily my rep room in my garage is almost finished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: