Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crestie book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Review - Books & Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: crestie book Reply with quote

i am looking for a book on cresties with a good breeding section, i have the rhacodactylus: a compete guide blah blah... which is very good but in my opinion has a comparitively small breeding section. just wondering what you guys thought of the following books, or if you can recommend any others:

- Crested gecko by phillipe de vosjoli (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=1882770803

- crested geckos by adam black (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=0793828813

by the way the site that the links go to (bookdepository) is amazing for books, it has loads of reptile books, and all delivery is free, and all prices a brilliant

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got either of the books but I had a flick through the de Vosjoli book in my local reptile shop. To be honest it just seemed to be the Crested gecko section of the Rhac book (granted I only flicked through it so it may have had extra information). It's a shame the Henkel and Seipp Rhac book hasn't been reprinted - it's a great book and I use it just as much (if not more at times) as the de Vosjoli, Fast and Repashy one. If you do manage to find a copy I would grab it. The ISBN is 3-930612-33-2.

I'm not much help on the book front - is there anything specific you wanted to know? Very Happy

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply jackie. if the de vosjoli book, is just the section from the rhac book, i think i shall go for the other one.

well there isn't anything in particular wanted to know, there are lots of things lol. i just wanted to have easy access to a good book on breeding cresties, as i may be getting a male soon, and opening a book, is easier than using the internet in my opinion.

the things were:
- can i keep the male and female together all the time? i do have a spare tank to quarantine him in, but just for future reference.
- do i have to do anything to make them breed?
- does the fe,ale require any particular special care before or after laying eggs?

there are probably more, but i can't remember them now.

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
mccabec
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another good book is the crested gecko in captivity by Robbie Hamper.
MJ
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look through the rach sub forum all thes questions will be answerd Wink or if you cant be botherd searching try asking these question there which would be the correct place Wink

Also I'm yet to get a paper cut from the internet so it gets my vote over a book any time tho I do love a good frog book Laughing

Ailurus wrote:
thanks for the reply jackie. if the de vosjoli book, is just the section from the rhac book, i think i shall go for the other one.

well there isn't anything in particular wanted to know, there are lots of things lol. i just wanted to have easy access to a good book on breeding cresties, as i may be getting a male soon, and opening a book, is easier than using the internet in my opinion.

the things were:
- can i keep the male and female together all the time? i do have a spare tank to quarantine him in, but just for future reference.
- do i have to do anything to make them breed?
- does the fe,ale require any particular special care before or after laying eggs?

there are probably more, but i can't remember them now.

For all your Tropical plant and Naturalistic Vivarium needs please enjoy Urban Bromeliad
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you how I do things:

can i keep the male and female together all the time? i do have a spare tank to quarantine him in, but just for future reference. I don't. When I bred Cresteds I only put the male in with the females for two weeks a year. That period got a seasons worth of fertile eggs. My reason for doing it this way is that, the first year I bred them (females were 4 years old and well above the required breeding weight) I kept the male in permanently. The females didn't stop laying and it resulted in one of them calcium crashing. The female made a full recovery following a course of calcium injections and lots of TLC but I learnt my lesson. I found that by taking the male out meant the females recovered from egg laying and began feeding quicker. I know other people do leave their male in and I'm sure they will post on how they do things.

do i have to do anything to make them breed? Just make sure the female is over 35grams and is approximately 18 months old. Then put the two of them together.

does the female require any particular special care before or after laying eggs? Give her plenty of calcium in her food.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Review - Books & Products All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: