Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DANGERS OF KEEPING VENOMOUS ANIMALS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Central Scotland Reptiles
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: DANGERS OF KEEPING VENOMOUS ANIMALS Reply with quote

First off, venomous animals are not my 'thing' and i have little desire to explore this side of the hobby. I do however 100% respect and admire those that do.

I would just like to know how it feels when you are cleaning out or feeding your animals knowing that it could, potentially, be your last time, i.e if you take a hit? I would imagine there is absolutely no room for complacency or distraction.

How do your partners or parents feel about the fact that you keep 'dangerous' animals?

I don't want to get into the discussion about "statistically it is safer than driving a car" or the like. I just want to know what makes you take that, potential, risk!!! I hope i am making myself clear in what i am asking!!! Smile
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frasier

Its an incredibly exotic side to the hobby. No more or less cool than breeding balls or boas or corns, just a different view of the hobby.......The whole thing of looking after and maintaining venomous is using a certain set of rules and procedures when contact has to be made, and just leaving well alone and enjoying the creatures when not. Its very satisfying to see something so powerful and otherworldly thrive in what I can give them. If you are drunk, tired, annoyed, or any other thing that takes your mind away when you should be concentrating then you dont work with them!!!

Why keep them? Because I like venomous snakes more than any other snakes. I could go into the long winded version of the reasons, but in a nutshell thats it!

There is a post here that shows the shift boxes I use, which make things a bit easier, other guys use other methods but I prefer this one.

Cheers
Lee
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does your partner or parents feel about you keeping venomous animals?
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real interesting post/question Fraser.

I've never had any comments from my parents regarding the venomous other than the occasional "are you allowed to keep those" or "you be careful!", I guess this overall lack of concern is down to my interest in them being from very early teens and their lack of knowledge / interest in them.

My gf doesn't really show any concern regarding the venomous collection I have either, although when I had to pack up four westerns a few weeks back she watched me do it via CCTV just in case something bad happened Very Happy

For me personally, I keep the species I like because of what they are NOT what they can do, so it wouldn't matter if they were venomous or harmless...in fact I would prefer the gilas to be non-venomous so that more people could enjoy such wonderful reptiles. With regards to risks, I don't really think of them to be honest...yes I know the implications of being bitten etc but I am happy that I do things in such a way that the risks are reduced and that then only leaves stupidity as my only concern Very Happy

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is of the opinion that it is something that I do. Its not such a big concern, and my room is not attached to the house by anything other than a lean-to. So thats peace of mind for that. For me, she trusts that I know what I am doing, and likes to look in at them herself from time to time. Most people have some sort of fascination dont they? Those western DB'S Scott is referring to where packed very impressivly (they are now mine), so things like that for me, need 2 people. Last week we had to bath a constipated Gaboon viper....but it was all very controlled and planned and worked a treat for the snake!!! The same sense of husbandry but approached very differently.
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, i appreciate your feedback,

I suppose forward planning, such as how to help the constipated Gaboon Viper, is required and as you say, not attempting any interaction while under the influence, would be an advisable precaution. I suppose in many ways large, non-venomous, boids can be just as dangerous.

What is the venomous hobby like in the UK?

I must admit, if i were ever to delve into venomous keeping, i would go for the Gila's. I think they are stunning.
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Northern Ireland its still a pretty quiet side to the hobby. I, in some small way, am trying to detach the stigma from it by having my own little venom room forum, and showing as many people as possible that its not about looking hard because you keep venomous snakes. Its a genuine interest...or passion even. The DWA has only just arrived here, and I have it. So its not exactly underground anymore. I choose to stay away from the blackmarket trade too, trying instead to source snakes from reputed keepers and breeders....which are pretty flippin low on the ground sometimes too. Its ok at the minute, because I have the collection I want. Not too big, and with some real cracking creatures. I keep a perengueys adder here, a little desert sidewinder from namibia. I have never seen, nor heard of another soul that has one! So its about that aspect too. Something that is just extraordinary........
arietans
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I had a girlfriend once........

She explained that I must choose between my reptiles and her, well I am missing her quite a bit Smile
Seriously though, I have always tried to get the girlfriends interested in that side of it by taking them on handling courses, and eventually letting them work with the reptiles themselves. Eventually it becomes a great team effort, and something fun to do with your partner
Cleef
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arietans wrote:
LOL I had a girlfriend once........

She explained that I must choose between my reptiles and her, well I am missing her quite a bit Smile

Haha Laughing

Very interesting thread, it's interesting to know the reasons why people keep such animals :]
trueviper_UK
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me personally I keep them because Vipers are my favourite group of snakes. I find their behaviour completely fascinating and they are also beautiful to look at.

As far as the danger side is concerned you just adapt to the different husbandry techniques and use a bit of common sense and concentrate on what your doing whenever you have to work with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: