Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about kepping unsexed together.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Thinking about kepping unsexed together......... Reply with quote

Hi, i am thinking about keeping 2-3 unsexed rhacos together, was woundering if you guys think it is a good idea or should i buy one unsexed and wait 'till it's sexed to get a definate male/female.
Thanks.
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an animal is impossible to sex as a juv, I always buy as many as I can and then sell off the unwanted / needed spare males etc but it's all down to what you want at the end of it.

If you wanted a 1.2 group, then I would suggest you buy 5 unsexed, the chances are you would end up with at least 2 females, you can then sell off the 2 spare males (even earning a little on them).

If you were to buy 3 and end up with 3 males, buying good females would be hard and possibly expensive (you can buy babies from £35 but sexed females from me would cost £90 upwards).

hope that helps

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Liam
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks! Very Happy
Jackie
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would just get one and wait and see what it turns out to be. I always raise Cresteds individually. That way you can monitor what is feeding, shedding well etc. It's just my opinion but I feel if it is your first reptile/Crested why jump in straight at the deep end? Start off with one and build up your collection over the coming months or so. Get to know their quirks ie how to handle them, finding the correct humidity etc.

3:4 Eublepharis macularius
1:0 Gekko gecko
3:4:1 R. auriculatus
1:3 R. ciliatus
1:1 R. chahoua
1:1 R. leachianus henkeli
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: