Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

age at which male cresties should be seperated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenni270986
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: age at which male cresties should be seperated Reply with quote

hello!

have been lookin at elmo and splodge tonight, i know that they are not sexually mature yet adn neither are showing bulges, but elmo appears to have definate pores on his underside, and im worried that i can see them on splodge too Sad
might not be, but if they turn out to be 2 males, do i just split them as soon as i deffinately know? that 9 months to a year isnt it?
jenn
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be now, could be never.

I have a few males living together, NO FEMALES present though. I know that generally they say the males will fight etc but so far I have had NO bites or other problems.

I also have breeder cages set up with 2.6 in, they have little scuffles but have enough hides for it to be over in seconds.

I would wait until they develop fully, then you can decide if you want to watch and react or jump in and stop any potential problems.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
jenni270986
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they havnt had any fights just when they are eating one may grab the others foot and then the other bites in reaction sort of thing but nothing unprevoked, i just hope they cna stay together really.

jenn
Scott W
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's down to you, all I can say is that I have males together without problems (yet) for over a year.

I know Allen Repashy doesn't recommend it at all. The first signs will be either tail loss or bite marks on the head / neck region.

Please DO NOT pm orders for reptiles, send email instead scott@captivebred.co.uk
Nerys
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to echo scott really, i had 2.2.1 in together for sometime with no problems... my females were not laying at the time.. the respective weights were females 35g 30g and males 30g and 25g the 5th was at the time 14g the two males are defo males..

I have now sold one of the males, as i didn't want to push my luck this coming year when the females are bigger and maybe more interesting, but all the same, the 5 lived together quite fine for some time..

I wouldn't count out the possibility of fighting, but like scott, careful observation and plenty of hides, or in my case foliage, reduces the risk, though does not eliminate it altogether..

N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Rhacodactylus Geckos All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: