Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred
A site to share your Reptile experiances & ask questions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

?? for the people that own hots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeroytheboy
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting bit by these snakes is not an option, so its the only way as far as I am concerned. I know a guy who got bitten by a canebrake, and he begged the doctors to kill him because he was in so much pain. Every single muscle in extreme spasm..... 102 vials of antivenom later they got him stablized.
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that is a good idea, I agree getting bitten is not an option, its all about minimizing the risks I guess
Ailurus
Captivebred Communist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW i love this thread, and great stories, especially the 'here hold this' one that made me laugh.

i really want to keep hots, but i am not old enough, does anyone on here keep hots in hertfordshire, as i think if i remember correctly different counties have different rules and regulations on keeping hots.

keep up with the good work you lucky people

Snakes: :Pantherophis: :Coelognathus: :Lampropeltis: :Heterodon: :Antaresia:
Lizards: :Rhacodactylus: :Pogona: :Goniurosaurus:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ailurus27
zarozinia
CaptiveBred Addict!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been keeping various reptiles for around 2.5 years and had never entertained the idea of keeping venomous. Then I ended up with a partner who kept loads of them. I helped him with cleaning out their cages and very slowly became intrigued by them, watching their behaviour and discovering that there is so much more to keeping corns and cresties, lol( not that there is anything wrong with either, I still keep both). As the months progressed I started learning about how to keep various venomous snakes, the attitude required and various issues surrounding the hobby under my partners direction and another colleagues. At the same time we opened a reptile shop so I was fast tracked through learning about a huge variety of reptiles by Pete and Adam ( one of my colleagues), all of this helped broaden my general knowledge and experience with regards to reptiles. I was being taught loads every single day and soaked it up like a sponge.
My experience with venomous snakes grew as I observed them (Pete and Adam) at work and I was encouraged to increase my experience of dealing with, fast, feisty and aggressive snakes. I was taught how to use the various equipment, which equipment to use for each snake and about their behaviour. When they felt I was competent and confident in handling and had developed the correct approach/attitude to keeping venomous snakes, aswell as demostrated a reasonable knowledge of the snakes and issues surrounding keeping and maintaining them, I was allowed to assist as a back up handler. Throughout this time I was constantly/ closely mentored and monitored and encouraged to continue learning. I started mainly with vipers and very slowly was assisted in learning how to handle different species. During the first year I was given some copperheads and the following year was bought a red spitting cobra. I moved onto handling king cobras a few times and eventually a Taipan, which I must say was one of the scariest.
AS part of my mentoring and due to my own curiosity I also learned about the different venoms and treatments which did come in useful when Adam was bitten. We were told that it was our actions at the shop that saved his life. I wont go into that anymore other than to say it was not due to complacency but a freak accident and its not really my place to comment on it any further.
I do agree with the attitude in the comment that someone has made, "getting bitten is not an option", but you do need to be prepared, it would be foolish not to be. Despite all the experiences Ive had in my nursing career, this experience was one of the worst Ive ever witnessed and I dont wish to witness it again.
Following this event my daughter became increasingly concerned that I might get bitten, and started having nightmares, I have since given up handling for the time being for her peace of mind. Maybe one day in the future will start all over again.
I do find many venomous species fascinating and Im completely in awe of King cobras, but my favourite species is probably Waglers.
snakelily
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impressive what you write, Angi. Thanks for posting this.

I can understand getting into hots the way you describe it, through people one is close to. Constant exposure I guess takes some of the fear factor away, and seeing how fascinating they really are.
snakelily
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know many hotkeeper ladies personally.

They tend to make better keepers than guys, because they don't have this ego driven thing going. Alot of guys don't either, but there are many who do.
Women also tend to listen better and learn faster. The animal also gets nurtured better. Instead of a hidebox and a water dish, they end up making this elaborate jungle, which looks absolutely awesome

That's interesting, Arietans, and not surprising. We do have to nurture everything, it seems. (Just a water bowl and a hide... shakes head.) I always took very good care of the live pinkies I sometimes had to feed, so that they were nice and comfy and not upset, until they got eaten...
Wink
SiUK
Key Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my book arrived today, Venomous snakes in captivity by B.W.Smith, I was quite impressed by Lulu the site I bought from because they emailed me yesterday saying it had been shipped from America and it arrived today, when I ordered it 1 week ago, they said it would take at least 25 days, so I'm definately pleased
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reptile Forum, Reptile Classifieds - CaptiveBred Forum Index -> Venomous & other DWAA All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: